Monday, April 18, 2011

A personal touch...


In my last post, I started with a picture of a dollar bill... not very personal. And in most of my posts the pictures have been of the bamboopink jewelry products -- also inanimate representations of my business. However, thinking about what really motivates people and what makes us tick, it's really the human relationships and deeper connections we make that will keep us going and help us go the distance. And sometimes we forget this when we are trying to promote a business or sell a product. For example, one suggestion that has been made to bamboopink consultants is to replace our Facebook profile image with a picture of our new jewelry to promote the company. While I think this has been a great idea to get our friends to notice the new line (and a good way to identify which ones of my friends are bamboopink consultants) in terms of being a team leader and reaching out to potential customers, I think that having a personal image on Facebook will make a much stronger impact in the long run. (Take a look at this Guide to Building Your Personal Brand on Facebook)...

Having a "real" image of yourself is only the first step to giving your online presence more personal touch, and to begin building stronger relationships... Part of developing those relationships is understanding others and how you interact with them. For me, I think it's also about changing perceptions, and also working on developing a softer approach. As someone who is driven by work and motivated by getting results and being productive, I realize that sometimes I forget about what matters. People don't want to be "sold" to -- they want their problems solved. They don't want to be considered a statistic, they want to be recognized for their uniqueness. And in the end, while it might be nice to have a golden nest egg to pass along to your children and future generations -- it's the heartfelt memories, the laughter and tears, the whispered secrets and shared moments that keep the candle burning into eternity.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are right on track about making your business about relationships. I read once in a book that if people like the photographer, they will like the person's photography. That was eye-opening for me.

    ReplyDelete